KABF goes Cornbread...!!!
November 3, 2012, was a perfect day for the
2nd Annual Arkansas
Cornbread Festival, held on Main St. in the SoMa district of
Little Rock, the big block party filled three city blocks food,
fun, music, cornbread and people galore.
KABF DJ Markey Ford took a turn staffing the KABF info-booth,
which was hosted in part by KABF Associate Producer,
At right: Liz Sanders, coordinator of
Bernice Garden and the
Arkansas Cornbread Festival, was a 'woman in
motion' from dawn to dusk, running higher and yon, making sure
everything flowed smooth.
According to Kelli Reep of
Communications, Inc., the event welcomed 3,000 people
and awarded gift baskets, t-hirts, trophies and $1200 in cash
prizes to the Cornbread Connoisseur Competitors::
- Best Professional Traditional – Fresh Ideas at Philander
Smith - $100
- Best Professional Non-Traditional - Loblolly Creamery -
- Best Professional Sweet - Brown Sugar Bake Shop - $100
- Best Professional Overall – Fresh Ideas at Philander Smith
- Best Side Item - The Root – trophy
- Best Amateur Sweet (no entries, no winner)
- Best Amateur Non Traditional - William Fisher - $100
- Best Amateur Traditional - Terry Wright - $100
- Best Amateur Overall - William Fisher - $100
- Best in Show - Fresh Ideas at Philander Smith - $500
Entries were judged by event attendees, who got to sample all
the various entries, as well as a panel of celebrity judges.
Have a listen to the
MP3 of KABF's musical message (featuring 'Uncle
Gus') promoting the
Arkansas Cornbread Festival...!!!
KABF's Program Director, John Cain
(pictured below and at far left), emceed the award of prizes.
The goal of the Arkansas Cornbread Festival is to attract people
-- especially those who live and work downtown -- to South Main
area and showcase thriving new
and amenities of the SoMa district, which now sports a grocery
store, pharmacy, family discount store, gift and variety shop,
several restaurants, entertainment venues, and a unique urban
American sponsored the music, which featured the
Mockingbird Hillbilly Band, Rodney Block and the Real Music
Lovers, Buffalo City Ramblers, Tsar Bomba, Tyrannosaurus Chicken
and Don’t Stop Please.
As seems self-evident, a great time was had by all...!!!
info about the next festival, contact Liz Sanders, 501-617-2511
CLICK HERE TO